Based in Pasadena, California
August 25, 2015 (Steam/PS4) // August 28, 2015 (Xbox One) // September 1, 2015 (PSVita/PS3) // (WiiU TBA)
Nova-111 is a quirky sci-fi turn-based adventure game with an innovative twist of real-time action! Explore alien worlds and combat fiendish alien creatures in your quest to restore the flow of time, all in the name of SCIENCE!
Pilot your trusty orange vessel through mysterious and foreign planets in this original sci-fi adventure. Your mission: fix space-time and search out the scientists lost in the aftermath of the Universe's Greatest Science Experiment. Aided only by your trusty (if somewhat sandwich-obsessed) guide, you must repair the temporal vortex!
Navigate mind-warping puzzles and engage in strategic battles with bizarre astrobiological creatures in a twisted environment where the turn-based world and the real-time world collide.
As you progress through the universe, you'll need to protect yourself by collecting new abilities and upgrade modules for your ship, but remember, your greatest weapon is SCIENCE itself!Game Story
Once upon a spacetime, there existed a team of 111 brilliant scientists, who lived together in a simple turn-based world. They were interested in expediting their scientific research, and thus began developing the Universe's "Greatest Science Experiment" which was theorized to unlock "real-time". All was fine and dandy, that is, until one day the science experiment went horribly wrong, which resulted in a cosmic real-time/turn-based vortex that mashed the two unlikely worlds together.
You pilot the "Nova" spaceship, a harmless research vessel which was improvised for rescue and survival in hostile extraterrestrial environments. Your mission is to voyage through mysterious planets in search for the scientists who were lost in the time-vortex.Development History
The core team first met when they were employed at Q-Games (in Kyoto, Japan), where they worked together on the PixelJunk series. The developers all shared interests in the strategic depth of turn-based games, but felt that oftentimes pure turn-based gameplay lacked the urgency that real-time games provide. From those discussions, the idea of Nova-111 was born and they decided to leave Q-Games to found their own studio, Funktronic Labs, in order to develop the game. The team began development in Kyoto, Japan, but has since relocated their studio to Pasadena, California. In July 2014, Indie Fund announced their support of Nova-111. And in September 2014, Funktronic Labs formed a partnership with Curve Studios to bring Nova-111 to console platforms. Since its inception, Nova-111 has won several awards and has been invited to various festivals around the world.Development Team
This game was created by a handful of talented individuals consisting of former developers of the PixelJunk series.
- Innovative Gameplay - Clever mix of turn-based and real-time gameplay
- Beautifully-Crafted Planets - Each with its own unique enemies, environments and strategies
- Strategic Combat - Fight smart, brains beats brawn
- Mind-Warping Puzzles - Designed to melt your brain
- Cool Abilities - Abilities like the TIME-STOP to bend time to your will
- Ship Upgrades - Collect upgrades and modules for your ship
- Dynamic Soundtrack - Music suited to your play style
- SCIENCE - Because who doesn't like scientific progress?
Polygon - Nova-111 Gameplay Overview YouTube
Kotaku - Take a Metal Gear Break And Try Nova-111 YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Game Audio Network Guild - Finalist for Best Audio for an Indie Game" San Francisco, USA - 12 February, 2016
- "SXSW 2015 Official Selection - Gaming Award" Austin, USA - 13 March, 2015
- "BIG Festival 2015 - Innovation Award Nominee" São Paulo, Brazil - 27 June, 2015
- "IndieGamesLive Selection" Los Angeles, USA - 3 November, 2014
- "Indiecade Finalist 2014" Culver City, USA - 10 October, 2014
- "PAX10 Selection 2014" Seattle, USA - 29 August, 2014
- "Indie MEGABOOTH Selection 2014" Seattle, USA - 29 August, 2014
- "Indiecade E3 Selection" Los Angeles, USA - 12 June, 2014
- "MIX Selection" San Francisco, USA - 17 March, 2014
- "BitSummit - Game Design (Runner Up)" Kyoto, Japan - 10 March, 2014
- "Nova-111 fills its turn-based world with real-time elements"
- Christian Donlan, EuroGamer
- "Take A Break From Metal Gear And Play Nova-111"
- Stephen Totilo, Kotaku
- "Nova-111's blend of real-time and turn-based gameplay is a trip"
- Griffin McElroy, Polygon
- "What Does Time Even Mean Anyway in Nova-111"
- Brett Makedonski, Destructoid
- "Nova-111 Coming to PS4, PS Vita in 2015"
- Rob Clarke, Playstation Blog
- "Nova-111 – Voyages onto Xbox One this August"
- Eddie Lee, ID@Xbox
- "Indie Fund Backs Nova-111"
- Indie Fund Team, Indie Fund
- "Nova-111 Coming to Consoles"
- David Witmer, IGN
- "An incredibly intriguing, double-lovely thing"
- Mike Fahey, Kotaku
- " I am prepared to science. Are you?"
- Nathan Grayson, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "Nova-111 has captured my heart in real-time"
- Brett Makedonski, Destructoid
- "A super-neat-looking game"
- Jordan Devore, Destructoid
- "Game Preview: Nova-111"
- Tim Bowers, So So Gay
- "Exploring Nova-111's Real Time Turn-Based Action"
- Stefan L, The Sixth Axis
- "Incredibly simple, innovative and balanced"
- Bhernardo Viana, Indie Game Magazine
- "This upcoming endeavor is definitely promising"
- David Sanchez, GameZone
- "Time is much stranger than anyone originally thought"
- Jason Johnson, Kill Screen
- "Trailer: Nova-111"
- John Polson, IndieGames
- "An alternate spacetime of real-time has been discovered"
- Alex Havens, TIGSource
- "Everyone can be home in time for tea"
- Eugene, Siliconera
- "Real-time/turn-based hybrid Nova-111 announced"
- Steven Watts, Shack News
- Famitsu Editor, Famitsu
- "PCゲーム『Nova-111』がIndie Fundに選出"
- Playism Editor, Playism
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
Find out more information from nova111.com.
Steam Store Page
Buy it on Steam at store.steampowered.com/app/325370.
诺瓦-11 - 杉果游戏
Buy it on Sonkwo at sonkwo.com/products/1762.
About Funktronic Labs
Funktronic Labs is a funky-fresh independent game development studio that focuses on bringing creative experiences through games and other interactive media.
More information on Funktronic Labs, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Programming, Funktronic Labs
Programming, Funktronic Labs
Music & Sound Design, Freelancer
Level Design, Curve Studios
Level Design, Freelancer
Chris Van Yperen
Game Design, Freelancer
Publishing & Porting on Consoles
Audio Engine (PC/Mac)
FMOD Studio by Firelight Technologies